Knitted Dress

Just a brief post… the knitted dress you can see on the wall for my end of term display didn’t quite fit as intended, so I decided to test what I’d learned and go back and correct it – mainly so that I can wear it of course! Otherwise all those hours of work wouldn’t be quite as satisfying 🙂 The brief for the module was to make a fully fashioned, knitted garment, using a pre-existing garment or toile to come up with a simple shape. The fabric was developed through investigative sampling, and in the end I used a single jersey fabric with a half-tuck pattern. The full instructions for knitting the garment to size were calculated from the fully developed sample. I didn’t take as many photos of this project along the way as I normally would, but here are a few images along with the (revised) finished garment. The dress was knitted on a 7gg hand-operated Dubied V-bed machine, just in case anyone wonders!

Initial samples

Developmental samples

Looks a little shapeless, but this is the front panel of the dress on the linking machine so that the neckline can be finished

Looks a little shapeless here, but this is the front panel of the dress on the linking machine so that the neckline can be finished

Joining the shoulders

Joining the shoulders

Of course it’s orange!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s